Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Week 10: Reading Response: Telling True Stories

I really enjoyed reading the talk shop by Jan Winburn and Lisa Pollak. I like how they both worked together so well to get the piece done. What I don't like is the fact that every writer has to write what they are told to write by their editor. I know it is something no writer can get away with, but I still don't want to go through that process.

Anne Hull's "Revising-Over and Over Again" reminds me a lot of all the things I do now whenever I am writing a piece. Every time I am writing, I ask myself what is this story about? And that helps me stay focus and targeted, and it saves so much more time than free-writing. Even though free-writing is suppose to be very helpful, it would be something I will do later on with my pieces.

I like how Hull says, "I am going to show you something about this world I've visited. Let's go there together." It really helps get a writer to think in a more narrative way, which makes the piece more fun to write and fun for the readers to read also.

One thing I don't really like is revising. I don't like going back to my work and facing it again. But the process of rewriting makes you stronger as a writer. I have learned that as I was going through it in the journalism classes, and still am.

No comments:

Post a Comment