Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Reading Response: Writing for Story

The story of "The Ballad of Old Man Peters" is so engaging. It was hard to stop and put the book down. Franklin definetly knows what he's talking about when he mentions the structure of how to tell a good short story. The techniques he uses are very clear, but still kind of hard to follow, since there is so much to it. Because it is a five verse story, it is a little hard to try to go along with the structure, but he pulled it off.

I really liked reading the first story, "Mrs. Kelly's Monster." I liked all the suspense that built up as I kept reading the story. I find it very interesting that Franklin decided to write the story as a matter of "life goes on" instead of "the death of Mrs. Kelly." I Liked how he used foreshadowing in the story and then explained exactly when to use it and how later on in the book.

When writing our first assignment of a personal experience, I used the foreshadowing method. It worked really well, because I was able to cut down an entire paragraph that made the story confusing. So Franklin's thought of foreshadowing really helped my essay.

No comments:

Post a Comment