Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Reading Response- Writing for Story: The Outline

One of the hardest things for me to do when writing any piece is outlining. I actually have to know what I am going to write about before I start the writing process. Franklin is totally right, there's no way one can get away with writing a story or any type of paper without outlining. I didn't really know how to make a good outline that could make the writing process easier, but outlining really helps me to brainstorm and making sure I have everything I need to back up anything I want to say.

In "Writing for Story," Franklin says, "if you can't think your story through you can't write it convincingly." When I am in the process of writing my papers, I always get stuck, because I run out of things to say. Then when I think of something else, it makes no sense with the first half I wrote, so I end up cutting out the entire thing and starting all over again. I find this more frustrating than actually writing an outline, so writing outlines are now pretty important to me.

1 comment:

  1. Good--I'm glad you're learning new ways to conquer problems! And now you've got a new word for what you used to do: spaghetti-ing.

    ReplyDelete