Sunday, April 26, 2009

Response to Profile

Egypt's Tomb Raider, Off and (Mostly) on Camera
By: Michael Slackman

I picked this profile, because I really like Michael Slackman's tone and voice in this peace. You can notice it from the title and then later on in the piece.

Slackman's lede can be a great example of a descriptive lede, because it gives good details, but it can also be a tease lede, because it throws the reader right into the action. When I read the lede, I thought, "Oh my God, this is great. He is witnessing a moment of a discovery of an ancient mummy. How exciting is that!" I felt like I was reading a scene from the movie "The Mummy" or the "The Mummy Returns," (the best mummy movies ever made).

I think that Slackman's reason for writing about Hawass is to show how unreliable this man is, because it seems like all his discoveries, although they are great, seem like he is just doing them to increase his fame. Slackman's voice helps determine that.

Slackman then continues by introducing Zahi Hawass, (this is where his voice comes out), and gives a little bit of sarcasm. He then manages to maintain his voice by ending with the same sarcasm, but with a different discovery.

I hope you guys enjoy this profile.

2 comments:

  1. You're right--a different take on a profile! Slackman just seems to be inferring that Hawass is a flake...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I definitely felt like this was out of Indiana Jones or something, but instead of a rugged professor and whip slinging adventurer we get more of a old sensationalist megalomaniac. This is an interesting piece and I like that its written so simply and descriptively, I feel like I get a good view of this dude's lesser qualities, but that's all everybody around him sees so it was accurate reporting.

    ReplyDelete